When scientists, the government, companies, advertisers say something - anything - is "safe," they follow the industry standards. As a scientist, especially, they must follow good research techniques. I clearly understand that. In my lay terms, this, though, is what they mean:
The amount of ingredient "x" used (as directed,) would not cause you permanent damage, or at least not for a long time. Because there's only a little bit in the toxic item, which deems it "safe." Really. That's the scientific definition of something being considered safe or at least doesn't cause cancer. You know, like TV & video game violence don't cause crimes. And some things, there's such a little bit of it, and everybody puts that little bit in, that the government doesn't make them disclose it on the ingredients list. Like lead in your red lipstick. Or softening chemical in your ice cream.
Here's the thing with me, though.
There's only a little bit of surfactants in soaps and shampoos, fragrances, stain-resistant and water-shedding coatings, parabens (preservatives in cosmetics and pharmaceuticals,) fluoride, lead (in your red lipstick,) pesticides on your fruits and vegetables, hormones, bleach, bisphenal-A so that they won't harm you. But what about the manufacturing process? The workers? The remnants?
Did anyone test what happens to us and our kids who are in aggregate ingesting
a little bit of hormone in our beef, pork, chicken, eggs and milk,
a little bit of mercury in the approximately 14 vaccines that our babies get,
a little bit of lead in your red lipstick,
a little bit of preservative in our soaps, lotions, cosmetics (which they find lodged in breast tissue,)
a little bit of the petroleum-based estrogenic fragrances in our air fresheners, soaps, candles, shampoos, make up, fragranced markers,
a little bit of bleach on our cut carrots and diapers and tampons,
a little bit of plastic off-gassing from our new car seats, carpet, coats, shoes, pajamas, nail polish
a little bit of plastic leeching out of the pellets they put in farming soil,
a little bit of plastic leeching from our canned goods, paper plate coating, toys.
But don't worry; it's SAFE.