6.23.2008

May The Force Be With You

We traveled to our home region over the weekend. We visited MIL, went to a family wedding and on the same night had our High School reunion. I have "car head." And hence, no posts.

On our way to the wedding, I had the chance to be in the car alone, listening to whatever I wanted. (Read: NOT listening to the favorites of a 6 year old.) A familiar song came on:

What makes you say love will end
When you know that my whole life depends
On you . . .

I heard those words in a new way. And they scared me. Yes, scared me. I grew up with that song, and others of that ilk. Then, immediately, these words came to me:

For they exchanged the truth of God for a lie,
and worshiped and served the creature
rather than the Creator. . .*

I came to ponder a rather large notion, "what is love?" OK, so it's a big topic that philosophers, theologians, authors, poets and even scientists have studied for centuries. Here is what I know:

God is love. God = Love. As in many mathematical formulae, the converse is not true. Love is not God. Love /= God.

God is the Author, Source, Initiator, Wellspring. What happens to The Associations, The Beatles, and the millions of us, who worship Love? As the words of the Bible say, we worship the created, the product, in this case, LOVE, and not the Author, without considering the Creator.

All you need is Love? No. All you need is The Source.


*Romans 1:25 (NAS)

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Really nice reminder for me to pay more attention to what I'm, listening to.