7.14.2009

I've Been Shopping

It seems I go in stages. One day, I will notice that my clothes look dated and my shoes look pathetic. I'm not one to follow fashion too much any more. I did that in my 20's. And 30's. Now? at 49? It's just not worth the fuss or the money. But I don't want to be one of those people who look exactly the same for 25 years. You know what I mean - the too-bright lipstick, the blotchy blush, the permed hair and shoulder pads.

I was at another one of my stages when I realized many of my basics had been basic'd to death and needed to be buried. So many of my shorts seemed too short. All my tees were too tight. My shoes were surely shabby. (Oh OK, I'll stop!) It was handy then, that for Mother's Day, I got a gift certificate to a plaza that has a Talbot's, Chico's, Ann Taylor Loft and NY & Co.

Oh, but wait.

Of course it's summer. That means Boo is home. And it would be more bother to hear "Mom, I'm ready to go. Mom, mom, I'm ready to go. Are you almost done?" a bazillion times than even shopping is worth. I had just enough time the other day to drive over and have an hour or so TO MYSELF. I shopped fast and furious. From Talbot's, I got 2 t-shirts in sun yellow and black:

The deep V is more flattering for my, umm, thicker figure than the scoop necks I used to look good in. I also got a pair of black chino walking shorts good for a night in the burbs or a day in the city:
And these! I'd been ogling these for months! They are comfy and adorable! And guess what? Blackbelt strikes again. All the sale items were an additional 25% off that day!! Yeah!!

This past weekend, I got a chance to sneak to Macy's and get some walking shorts for kickin' around town. I got white denim and dark denim. Perfect. Calvin Kleins. On the way home, I thought I'd swing by the Salvation Army because I needed a cheap, large serving bowl for the party I was going to that night. I didn't find a bowl, but I found a white denim pair of walking shorts for $3.99. You can bet the Calvin Klein pair weren't $3.99.

I guess I'll have to go back to Macy's to return them . . .

. . . and if you take a mom to Macy's . . .

1 comment:

Musings of a Housewife said...

LOL! LOL! Let me know when you go to Macy's. I may try to join you. *wink*