7.31.2010

Summer in a Bowl

I wait all year for this. Nothing else except fresh tomatoes from a garden will do.

When I traveled in Spain too long ago, I tried gazpacho everywhere I went and never met one I didn't like! They were each a little different - chunky in one place, smooth at another, served with crusty bread here and a little spicier there. All delicious and fresh!

Like summer in a bowl!


Grace likes gazpacho chunky with a zing!

I use about 4 or 5 large tomatoes.  Fully ripe.  If over ripe, I peel the skin off.  I remove most of the green seeds because they don't look too appetizing.  Then I break them apart, readying them for blending in the food processor.

There are things that go in the food processor, and things that get mixed in at the end.

I get an English, or seedless cucumber and dice half for mixing and cut up the other half for blending in.

Get some fresh herbs - we have them in tubs outside my kitchen door.  (Don't bother if you only have dried.)  Here, I have (from left) parsley, oregano and basil. 

Now let's get everything ready to assemble:



These are for blending: tomatoes, of course and some of the cucumbers, onions, scallions and parsley.  You'll also want to drizzle in the extra virgin olive oil and the balsamic vinaigrette.





These are for mixing in: diced onions, cucumber, the herbs and scallions.  Green bell peppers are nice, too.  Black pepper, cayenne pepper, salt, cumin.  Reserve these for later.




The 'blended' items should look like this, a little chunky, not too smooth.



Put everything in a large bowl, then mix in the rest of the 'mixing' ingredients.  Chill for several hours before serving.
















OLA!  SUMMER IN A BOWL!

Ingredients:
4-5 ripe tomatoes
1 English cucumber
1 medium green bell pepper
2 scallions
1/2 large sweet onion
1 lime
1 T balsamic
1/2 c EV olive oil
parsley, basil, cumin, salt, black pepper and cayenne

6 comments:

Musings of a Housewife said...

I've never tried it but it looks yummy.

Donna B said...

Hey Grace- I think I'm becoming you- today I just took pictures of a sandwich I was making with slices of homegrown tomato and a bowl of green peppers, tomatoes and cucumber from our garden to send to Adam...we got early tomatoes this year so we didn't have to wait until the end of summer to enjoy! I'll be trying your recipe...sounds (& looks) delicious!

Third Mom said...

Yum!

Our neighbors went on vacation, and in exchange for our daughter's help watering, we got the spoils of the garden. Zucchini, ripe tomatoes and blackberries - huge, ripe, sweet blackberries.

They're back and I'm bummed, because the gravy train has stopped. I'm sure grateful for the goodies we enjoyed, though. Next year I need to plant my own.

mrkmommy said...

I just found your blog and I am looking forward to reading all of it. I was just commenting today that tomatoes still warm from the sun are the only ones worth having. Now I am looking forward to trying this recipe - it looks so good.

Donna B said...

Hi Grace...I remembered this recipe from years ago- our garden is giving us lots of luscious tomatoes so I'm finally going to try it!

Donna B said...

Made it again and again it was yummy~ truly summer in a bowl as our garden supplied the tomatoes, pepper, herbs, cucumber...love!