8.22.2010

Triple O

I guess a post about God on a Sunday might be apropos.

I took a Philosophy class Freshman year.  It was like a lot of things to me: sounded good but didn't actually want to do the work, y'know?  I do remember a few things, including the frail, blond, mistachioed professor, who I am sure was always picked last for kickball.  He hunched his shoulders, held his left elbow in his right hand, left hand cradling his chin.

Rene Descartes and the "Triple O" God.

Omnipotent.  All powerful.    Check.
Omniscient.   All knowing.    Check.
Omnipresent. Ever present.  Check.

Got that.  Could this not almost be the same as Evil?  I mean, when I say God, I always think "Good."  Does anyone say God and mean "Wicked?"  If I'm going to worship someone, if I want some - Someone - on my side, then I think I'd want Good.

Unchanging.
Truthful.
Loving.
Compassionate.
Patient.
Peaceful.
Kind.
Forgiving.
Righteous.
Fair. *

And El-Shaddai.  There's a beautiful song made famous by Amy Grant.  The traditional definition says"God Almighty."  But there is thought that it's roots are in the word for breasts and fertility, in addition to the notion that God is the God of all things, who provides all and enough.  So the thought is that God is an almighty God, who gathers us to His breast, like a hen with her chicks, providing us all we need.  What a beautiful picture of Him.

And I want more than those three O's.


*Exodus 34:6-7

No comments: