12.21.2010

What I Thought

Disagreeing with someone doesn't mean you hate them, right?  You can think of many people, many issues with which you disagree and hate is not a factor, right?  Right?

I don't need to give examples, right?

Ok, so there are people that I really, really dislike because of their views.  You know, that I disagree with.  But it's because I DISRESPECT them.  Like a local-yokel Communications major trying to run for president.  Of the United States.  Or that Big Fat Liar dude.  And that Glenny-come-lately.

These days, I hear proponents of homosexual marriage banty about the the terms "bigot" and "hate," when speaking of those of us who disagree with them.  The public stance is, "if you disagree with us, you hate us and you're a bigot."

Gosh, I didn't know I hated homosexuals.  I didn't know I was a bigot.  Sure I harbor prejudices like everyone.  But I am one to look deep into myself and really try to cleanse myself.

I thought I saw all people as being made in the image of God.  I thought I tried to respect people for all they are, not just a part.  I thought I vehemently disagreed with those who single out homosexuals as being worse sinners or perverts or blah blah.  I thought that I believed we were all sinners and that I am saved only by the Grace of God and not of my own doing.

That's what I thought I thought.

1 comment:

Lora said...

I'm prejudiced against white people from the south. I can't look at them (er, listen to them, because that's how one knows one is dealing with a southerner. Unless of course, they are wearing a Confederate flag bikini or cut off shorts and a bra or a t-shirt with the arms cut off and denim cut offs and cut off cut off cut offs and driving a truck with a gun rack or or or) without assuming they are pretty much the antithesis of me.

But, that doesn't mean I hate them.

As long as they stay south of the Carolinas.

Kidding.

Okay, seriously. You can disagree with someone and still love them with all your heart.

Trust me, I know first hand.

Case in point: my mother.