4.30.2011

Royal Wedding Full of Grace

Back in the early 80's when Diana Spencer wed Prince Charles, I was all over that wedding thing.  Even if the Prince's ears stuck straight out.  I was as young as they, and less prone to over analyze the meaning of life.  [The American prince back then was John Kennedy Jr., who was only a year or two younger than me.  I couldn't help secretly wondering if I should transfer to Brown.]  I sighed through that royal wedding.

This time around when Catherine Middleton wed Prince William, I was quite a bit less enthused.  After all, I am more the age of their parents.  It is a little harder to swoon over a prince the age of a son.  Although I didn't watch the wedding on Friday, I had some time to myself this morning and watched one of the many reruns.  I've always admired William and Catherine, for their good looks and their appropriateness and wisdom in the wildly public life they lead.

I immediately thought of Grace Kelly of Philadelphia, and my Googling proved I wasn't the only one.  There are the easy comparisons of Catherine and Grace both coming from a "common" family that had risen in society through business dealings, and then, of course, marrying a prince.  They both have understated elegance and well... grace.
























I set aside my disbelief, let myself float into a world where not only are you the "it girl" of the event, you're the "it girl" of the whole world.  I set aside thoughts of all the glamorous weddings that ended in terrible sadnesses...Diana and Charles, Andrew and Sarah, Jackie and JFK, Caroline and John, Grace and Prince Rainier...

...and wished them as much happiness and love and hope as...




Grace and Dave.


We are an adopted Prince and Princess of  His Heavenly Kingdom.

6 comments:

tammey said...

ahhhh

Musings of a Housewife said...

Gorgeous. :-)

Donna B said...

Tam took the words out of my mouth...

Karen Perez said...

Yes! Love off the shoulder gowns :-)
You look beautiful.

Haley said...

What a beautiful bride and handsome groom! Thanks for sharing your wedding pic!

Marcelina said...

I love this post! Found your blog under reformed theology and glad I came upon it! Blessings to you.