10.22.2008

One

Divorces all around. In your neighborhood? In your church? I am even saddened by Madonna's divorce.

"Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh." - Genesis 2:24 (KJV)

My friend has a little boy, just 2 years old. He says "this," for whatever action he wants. "This," he says, as he tugs my hand, come read me this story. "This," he says when he wants me to get something for him. This. This is what I want. This. It is here. Help me get it. I want it.

cleave (klēv)
[Middle English cleven, from Old English cleofian.]
intransitive verb: cleaved, cleav·ing, cleaves.
To adhere, cling, or stick fast.
To be faithful: cleave to one's principles.

Cleave. The husband to his wife. The intransitive verb "to adhere, cling, or stick fast" doesn't tell all. In Hebrew, there is action, intention: "follow close (hard after,) pursue hard." Can you feel it? Can you feel the effort? the struggle to be one?

Cleave has no meaning without a becoming of one. A transitive verb; the direct object being her, whom He made just for him.

Hard work. This.

*

1 comment:

Christine said...

Such a good point and necessary reminder! I liked your illustration! :-)