10.05.2008

To Gain Wisdom

God put this upon my heart recently:

". . . LORD God, let your promise to my father David be confirmed, for you have
made me king over a people who are as numerous as the dust of the earth. Give me wisdom and knowledge, that I may lead this people, for who is able to govern this great people of yours?" God said to Solomon, "Since this is your heart's desire and you have not asked for wealth, riches or honor, nor for the death of your enemies, and since you have not asked for a long life but for wisdom and knowledge to govern my people over whom I have made you king, therefore wisdom and knowledge will be given you. . ." - 2 Chronicles 1:9-12 (NIV)

King Solomon called upon God's promise, knowing God's promises are sure. He understood that it is God that put him in that place as King. It is to Him that Solomon turns for wisdom and knowlege. Does it matter that my Kingdom is a 6-year old and a brood of dust bunnies? Do I know that God has placed me here? that His promises are sure? That He is tender to me, His child, like a hen with its chicks? Surely God will bless me with wisdom and knowledge, just as He blessed Solomon.

He also sent me:
"The Spirit told Philip, "Go to that chariot and stay near it." Then Philip ran up to the chariot and heard the man reading Isaiah the prophet. "Do you understand what you are reading?" Philip asked. "How can I," he said, "unless someone explains it to me?" So he invited Philip to come up and sit with him. . . The eunuch asked Philip, "Tell me, please, who is the prophet talking about, himself or someone else?" Then Philip began with that very passage of Scripture and told him the good news about Jesus." - Acts 8:29-34 selections (NIV)

I have always considered that passage from Philip's point of view, I being the apostle of Christ seeking for opportunities to teach an unbeliever. This passage was, for me, about trusting the Spirit to guide me to situations in which I could help someone. Recently, I considered the Ethiopian's perspective. Here, he earnestly sought the Lord as He worshiped and read the Word, and yet, he did not understand. Then, God sent him someone to help him understand! I am sure God sent Solomon enlightenment, but I am also sure God did not just miraculously send streams of knowlege into Solomon's head. More likely, He sent wise friends, counselors, advisors his way.
I need to pray more for wisdom and knowlege. Don't you? But I too, often need someone to help me understand. My thinking has been warped by sin, and sometimes I can't see around the gnarls and twists of my mind. I need spiritual help from a friend, a pastor, a Bible study. . .the Spirit.

But I also seek heart and mind counsel. How do I love? How do I be patient? How do I trust the Father? When I pray for wisdom, He also sends me a way for me to acquire that wisdom. In the form of enlightenment, a friend, a stranger, a therapist.

*

No comments: