There are so many great dresses out these days. For me, I'm glad we've moved on from the flowey and flowery to the Structured Shift. I have never pretended to be a fashion blog, but I'm so happy about this turn in fashion, I thought I'd share!
Although I've lost 7 lbs, I've got about 20 more to go. I've found as the years go by that I can't be wearing the flowey polyester fabric that clings in the wrong places. And it's always the wrong places, isn't it?? And there seems to be more "wrong places" as my body shifts in ways I never would have dreamed. I always needed clothes that were a heftier fabric, and designs that were more structures, and now more than ever. And were I so blessed to be a svelte older woman, I would still have to consider whether certain styles were appropriate for me, as an older woman. The shift is not, like anything else, a cure-all. And hence, not all the styles below will work for everyone. Heck half of them might not work for me! But I heart them!
Were I down by 10 more pounds, I'd be maxin' out my cards* for these**:
|Carolina Herrara Spring 2011 Runway|
I mean, when you're the Queen of England, wear what ever you want. But for now, think about these options. This is what I'd recommend:
- I would NOT buy this in purple but try it in the lovely berry, or preferably, the black:
- I would NOT accessorize with pearls that your mom gave you. Or the ones you wore at your wedding.
- I would NOT have anything satin near me
- I WOULD try for edgier, fashion current accessories such as:
- textured hose
- strappy modified gladiator sandals or embellished pumps:
|Various brands all available at Macy's|
- a funky clutch
|Matchy satin clutch? No. Edgy lace clutch? Yes!|
- and slightly over-the-top jewelry
|Betsy Johnson, Jessica Simpson or Givenchy.|
I love animal print. But I wouldn't wear a whole dress of it. But this giraffe print I like, because it's not literal in that child's coloring book way, but a bit abstract, more like shattered glass:
I thought you'd want to know that I took each of those images and "fattened" them up by 20%. (All their heads look a little squished, right?) I wanted the dresses to look a little more realistic.
So there you have my shift picks for the shifting body! (Do not say that 3 times fast.)
* Jk'ing cuz I'm not that kind of shopper, and also because some of these are not affordable by this mere mortal.
** All items except Carolina Herrara runway found at Macys.com