10.24.2009

P r r r r r r r r

I love animal print.

In the right proportions to the garment and to my body.
In a good colorway - meaning subtle variations of tone and nothing in garish colors.
In the right amounts - one item at a time.

Animal print seems to come and go. These days, it seems to have come back. It's a "go."

I like prints that are relatively small. I mostly have leopard-like prints, but I'd go for a zebra if I could find one at the right scale. I don't want a shirt or pants (gag!) that are life-size stripes! As for the leopard prints, I prefer a color palette that has browns and black. That gives me the flexibility to pair it with either browns, tans or black.

BELOW:
Necklace made especially for me by artist Jessica Buchtel. Velvet scarf (and gloves) by Ann Taylor.
I think animal print shoes should be very conservative in style. That avoids the Laverne (by Cher) trap. I mean unless you're going for the Gwen Stefani look. My flats are by Steve Madden. Mine, I love. The current versions I think are tacky.


























This great tunic top is by Newport News. This is not a brand I go to but I love the multi-scale print and the subtleties of the tans, browns and black. It creates an illusion that is thinning on me. I was surprised by the selection of really great animal prints on their website: a coat, a towering wedge, flats, a denim jacket! even a beach cover-up.











At this small scale, this print fits my criteria. This is my most causal piece that I throw on with jeans at home or to the grocery store.

The black & gray sweater is my current fave. I already wrote about it here. It is actually not a sweater at all but a cotton knit. By Rafaella.

I like to keep to one animal print per outfit. I don't combine my ballet flats with a scarf. Or even an animal print necklace with an animal print earring.

It's a simple way to add pizzazz!



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your son is adorable.

Julie said...

Love love love animal prints. I love leopard the most. Everyone teased me unmercifully when I sewed a new car seat cover for Sarah's car seat before she came home. I told them that I was not happy with just the plain blue cover. If I had to drive a tan minivan it was going to be in style with a leopard car seat. After that no one even flinched when I got a cow print one for Emily. I'd have preferred zebra but my sewing at that time was no existent so I took what I could buy.

Haley said...

I wish I could wear animal prints. The best I can do is shoes...all the rest just looks tacky on me...Im too darn white. My friends Sicilian mother wears leapard print a lot and it looks fantastic on her. My red-headed aunt wears all different animal prints and she can pull all of them off...I end up looking like a cave woman, no matter how hard I try. Love the ballet flats...need to go get me a pair!

Anonymous said...

I just saw a leopard print bathrobe at Dillards that I want for Christmas! I have very different conflicting tastes. I like to stand out and like animal prints for that very reason but I also really love totally understated. I have a solid black jumper from Ann Taylor that I love to wear a simple white shirt under w/black boots. It's very 'less is more' but looks great. Weird...I've never been able to fit in any one fashion category!

You look great in your animal prints Grace! Christine